The first step to change!
Be what you are.
This is the first step toward becoming better than you are.
–Julius Charles Hare
The way is still long, becoming a better you requires practice, practice, and practice. A lot of things need to be changed, we have been formed over the years by our past decisions and experiences, both the good one and the bad one, and we need to change! The first step is… being what you are.
(photo by sean dreilinger)
There are two important things about being what you are and accepting yourself:
One important thing of accepting yourself is not being ashamed of your weaknesses…
- That doesn’t mean that you’re purposely showing off your weaknesses,
- When it does come out, say sorry to the other person if necessary, and let go,
- Don’t blame yourself or calling yourself stupid, even more repeating it over and over again in your mind.
- As what Jonathan Frye shared, write down how will you behave the next time you’re in the similar position again, this is to let us learn from our mistakes or weaknesses.
Another important thing about accepting yourself is not being ashamed of your strength
- Another weakness of shy people, thinking that nothing good about them, do not think that way, think that you will always have something to share and help another person
- Learn to share your thoughts and opinions, it’s okay even if it’s rejected eventually, as long as you keep on sharing
- Make use your strength, make initiatives to help others or to do something in a better way
In conclusion, don’t be ashamed of who you are, accept and make use of who you are!